On July 6th 2021, Union Ministers of the National Unity Government (NUG) and the members of the Japanese National Diet (the Japanese Legislature) attended a meeting with agendas in discussion to provide urgently needed humanitarian assistance in Myanmar effectively, to support internally displaced persons fleeing from the terrorising acts of the junta, to encourage the Japanese government to recognise the NUG, and to ensure Japan’s continued support in all the possible ways for Myanmar’s righteous endeavour to be triumphant and to recover the democracy that Myanmar people deserve.
Member of the House of Representatives Mr Ichiro Aisawa (Chairman of Japan-Myanmar Parliamentary Friendship Association and Vice Chairman of the group of Japanese parliamentarians supporting democratization of Myanmar), Member of the House of Councillors, Mr Michihiro Ishibashi (General Secretary of the group of Japanese parliamentarians supporting the democratization of Myanmar), Mr Yutaka Nagasugi (Vice President, Japan Myanmar Friendship Association, CEO, MYANMAR JAPON CO., LTD.) and a freelance journalist, Mr Toshio Tanabe attended the meeting.
The member of the House of Representatives said in the meeting that
- the military staging a coup with the reason of election fraud is unacceptable, the world acknowledged that the Myanmar Election in November was fair, they supported the National Unity Government (NUG) which includes the elected representatives and ethnic minorities, but believe Myanmar has no other government,
- Japan will support NUG which is not a military dictator as a de-facto government as the Myanmar people has demonstrated,
- the Japanese ODA is not the assistance to the military, it is not for weaponry support but for education, medication, technical assistance and food, the termination of Japanese ODA is aimed not to benefit the military but there is a concern for the benefit of the people, and they would explore measures to directly benefit the people.
Likewise, the Member of the House of Councillors said that
- The rejection towards the (Myanmar) military was approved unanimously (in the Japanese National Diet)
- He believed the unanimous support from both the ruling party and the opposition to approve the rejection towards the (Myanmar) military will be beneficial to the people of Myanmar and supported not to sell arms to the military and to provide food and medical supplies to Myanmar people.
After that, representing the National Unity Government (NUG), the Union Minister for the Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Dr Win Myat Aye, the Union Minister for Health, Dr Zaw Wai Soe and Deputy Minister, Dr Shwe Pon, and the Union Minister for the International Cooperation, Dr Sasa, discussed the actions to implement the provision of effective assistance for the people of Myanmar.